The Temple of the Golden Pavilion
Medea & Antigone - Writing
1. Explore the ideas of Martha Nussbaum:
2. After you feel like you understand Nussbaum's positions, write 2-3 paragraphs explaining how Nussbaum would comment on Medea and Antigone. Support your assertions with 3-4 quotes pulled from the play(s) and other outside readings. How would Nussbaum comment on the notion of dike? How would she interpret the actions of Medea, Creon (king of Corinth), Jason, Antigone, Haemon, Teiresias, Eurydice, Ismene, and Creon (king of Thebes)?
3. Choose one of the philosophers from The Philosophy Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained listed below. Write a short paragraph (5-8 sentences) summarizing their ideas.
"Mind has no gender."
- Mary Wollstonecraft (p.175)
"Man is defined as a human being and woman as a female."
- Simone De Beauvoir (p.266-7)
"Society is dependent upon a criticism of its own traditions."
- Jurgen Habermas (p.306-7)
4. How would this philosopher comment on Medea and Antigone? Pull 3-4 quotes from the play(s) and the reading(s) to support your assertion.
5. Put all of your writing together. Add transitions.
6. Help each other write a thesis. Add an introduction and a conclusion.
7. Turn in your completed paper.
Medea by Euripides
Tuesday 7/28: Research!
1. When did they begin? What was the world like at that time? (Give basic political/global context)
2. Who were popular playwrights?
3. Who was Euripides? What is his background?
4. What was the role of women in Greek society at that time?
5. What did Greeks do for entertainment at that time?
6. When and where did the story of Jason and the Argonauts take place?
7. Is there an author? If not, why?
8. What is the Golden Fleece?
9. Who is Medea?
10. What are the key plot points/events in Jason & the Argonauts?
11. Print a map and label where the story's key action takes place.
Email your findings to Christi
Read the handout "Brief Note on the Mythological Background to Euripides' Medea." If you do not want the story spoiled, do not read the last 3 paragraphs!
Begin reading Medea
Ryunosuke Akutagawa Short Stories
Paper #1 Prompt: